Monday, October 12, 2009

Looking for a loud acoustic guitar amp? Buy an active/powered PA speaker instead!

My requirements seemed straight forward enough: a decent sounding acoustic guitar amplifier that would be loud enough to hear on stage with my band. So I started doing my research (and obsessing over the task, as I usually do) and was happy to find no shortage of seemingly well equipped acoustic guitar amplifiers from a fairly large number of manufacturers. Since so few local music stores carry any kind of a selection of these amps, I decided to do my research online and take my chances ordering something sight unseen/unheard. I decided to take a chance on a Hartke AC150, which did not cut it to say the least. After looking for amps that were in the 200 watt plus range and finding very few, or those that were in my opinion overly priced, I began to consider going the active/powered PA speaker route. I had used powered PA speakers in the past with good results and set out to look for whatever current models were available.

I really wanted the convenience of a self contained combo amp configuration, because the 15" EONs and 12" SRM 450 speakers I've used in the past were awfully large given my needs, which is basically to monitor my acoustic sound on stage. With this in mind I looked for and found some very compelling offerings in 10" speakers and narrowed my selection down to the EON 510 and the QSC K8. I ultimately decided on a Boss AD-8 acoustic guitar preamp/processor and the new QSC K10 powered PA speaker. I went with the K10 because the K8's cabinet did not offer a floor monitor orientation. What I found in the K10 was a speaker that not only could keep up with my band but could actually compete with my 40 watt tube rig.


If you're still looking for the convenience of an acoustic combo amp, then the Ultrasound Pro 250 (250 watts) and 300W Shenandoah models from Genz Benz are probably worth a look. Street price on those ranges from about $980 to almost $1,300. The combination however of the AD-8 and the K10 will cost about $1,000 and will give you 1000 watts and more clean power and volume than you could ever need. And what's really great about the current smaller powered PA speakers like the EON 510 and the QSC K10 I purchased is that they have integral mixers, so an acoustic guitar pre-amp and a modest vocal processor paired with one of these speakers will give even an solo acoustic performer far more system for the money.

Play well, play often and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks John for the comments. I was looking at the Ultrasound that you stated above. I just sold my Behringer 215A powered speaker that I was using with my Taylor 816 in my church praise band. So now I am in the market again. I will look at the QSC K10 too.
    Chris
    Harford Co. MD

    ReplyDelete